law office



At the Donovan Law Office, we focus exclusively on immigration law and provide quality legal services that are affordable and effective. We use our knowledge and experience to help immigrants obtain and keep legal status in the United States.


We help immigrants and their families establish legal residence in the U.S. through adjustment of status (“green cards”), family-based visas, work visas, student visas and visitors' visas. Our firm works directly with clients and companies to guide them through the naturalization and citizenship process.




Immigration requires much more than preparing and filing forms with the immigration service. The statutes are highly complex and the regulations are frequently changing. Maureen Donovan has the education, training, and experience necessary to understand and interpret the immigration statutes and apply that knowledge to your case.


We are able to determine the best course of action to take with your immigration matter, such as determining what to file, when to file, and which information to disclose. With each client, we advise you based on the individual's situation and goals.


Everything we discuss is confidential and are protected by the attorney-client privilege, and we are held to the highest standards of ethics among professionals.

Why hire an immigration attorney?

Naturalization and Citizenship

Citizens of the United States are entitled to live and work permanently in the U.S., vote in U.S. elections, serve on juries and hold a U.S. passport. U.S. citizens can sponsor their spouse, unmarried children under age 21, and parents as immediate relatives. These relatives do not have to wait for a visa number to become current. An individual may acquire U.S. citizenship in a variety of ways:


Birth in the United States

Children born in the U.S. are automatically U.S. citizens, regardless of the immigration status of their parents.


Birth Outside the U.S. to U.S. Citizen Parents

Certain children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents are automatically citizens of the U.S.


Naturalization of a Parent

A child born outside the U.S. may automatically become a U.S. citizen if one parent becomes U.S. citizens prior to the child’s 18th birthday.


Adoption by U.S. Citizen Parents

Certain children adopted and in the physical custody of their U.S. citizen parents for at least two years may acquire U.S. citizenship. The child must be under the age of 16 at the time of the legal adoption.


Doctrine of Constructive Retention

Individuals born and raised outside the U.S., being unaware of having acquired U.S. citizenship through their parents and have therefore failed to fulfill U.S. residency requirements for U.S. citizenship may be eligible to claim citizenship through the Doctrine of Constructive Retention.



The general rule is that anyone over the age of 18 who has been a legal permanent resident alien for at least five (5) years may apply for naturalization. The applicant must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the five years prior to the date of filing of the application and must have resided for at least three months within the state in which the application if filed. The applicant must demonstrate good moral character, be attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, be willing to bear arms on behalf of the U.S. or perform other work of national importance, and must not otherwise be barred from naturalizing, e.g., as having committed an aggravated felony.


All naturalization applicants will be fingerprinted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and have their criminal backgrounds reviewed by the FBI. The applicant must demonstrate a basic ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language. The applicant must also pass a short oral or written test on the history and government of the U.S. Finally, the applicant must be interviewed in person by an USCIS officer. If the applicant is approved for naturalization, the applicant will attend a public ceremony and take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. After taking the oath, the applicant will return the green card to the USCIS and receive a certificate of citizenship. This certificate of citizenship can be used to obtain a U.S. passport.

© copyright donovan law office 2015